Friday, January 11, 2008

Jarrid's deal

There was an awkward silence for another minute or two. Jarrid kept staring at the woman waiting for some sign of humor behind her last statement. He never got it. Her steely gaze was as perfected as he'd known in his time on the Pariah.

Finally he closed his mouth and took another sip of his drink. He tried to calculate the next direction of the conversation carefully. He still wasn't sure she wasn't playing him. Finally, he spoke.

"Miss... I don't know exactly what you're getting at asking me about my intentions. I've invited you back here to offer some sort of explanation as to why there's a distinguished draft in my tavern! Instead, you think I should explain myself to you?!"

For a second, he thought he saw the corner of her lip twinge upwards a millimeter on one side... but then again, maybe not.

"Obviously, at this point you already have decided that I'm not truly at fault for what happened earlier, or I wouldn't be sitting here with you... one way or another. Other than that, I'm not feeling rather like disclosing much about myself at the moment. I've done nothing wrong. I ask again, what is your deal here? You rent your rooms out, correct?"

Again, she took him by surprise, and Jarrid couldn't help but laugh this time. He'd had half a mug thus far, but it wasn't enough to make him delusional or blur his comedic sense. She really must be lost in herself.


"Alright. Akire. I don't rent rooms randomly, nor do I openly invite danger into my home. Here's the deal. I don't have the patience tonight to play mind games with you for hours on end. You're free to stay tonight but beyond that I promise nothing and it is not a matter of gold.
Tomorrow, I go out to replace my door. You can come with me or you can leave."

With that, he downed the rest of his drink and looked at her for one last moment. She still didn't waver. As he got up from the table, she took a small sip of her drink. He walked up to the bar and gave Ralgo his mug. Ralgo looked him in the eyes and shook his head ever so slightly. As Jarrid left for his room, he saw her watching out of the corner of her eye.

1 Comments:

Blogger Erik said...

Ok, so I read through my story (obviously) before writing more of it. I knew I hadn't refined it at all, but I was a little disappointed in some of the phrasing... and even found at least one spelling error. I'll have to comb back through them later.

In the end though, the goal was to regain the 'voice' I was writing in and try and continue it. I think I picked up fairly well so far. I remember roughly some of the story plans I had in mind when I last wrote, but I also know for sure that I've taken it at least slightly different, which is ok.

Thanks to any of you who are silly enough to have read some of this. ;)

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home